People kayaking or canoeing can still drown even though they are wearing a life jacket
1. Lifejacket not right size/type for conditions, old, worn out, broken, torn or worn improperly.
2. Vessel capsized and wearer trapped inside
3. Entrapment due to rocks or debris or severe water hydraulics
4. Wearer drowned from wave splash (mouth immersions) before rescue
5. Wearer sustained other injury which prevented keeping face out of water or injury restricted airway.
6. Wearer became unconscious and was not wearing a self‐righting life jacket model.
7. Failing of self‐righting life jackets.